The Count Down to Valentine’s Day is on! Rose City Style Guide Contributor, Shelby Pellow, Founder of Shelby’s Sweet Shoppe gives us the perfect Valentines Day Cupcake Recipe!
Cup Cake Ingredients:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper liners; set aside.
- 2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In another mixing bowl (or kitchen aid mixer using paddle attachment), cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated. Scrape down sides of bowl if necessary, beat in vanilla and almond extract.
- 3. Add flour mixture and milk alternately (beginning and ending with flour). Scrape the sides and bottom of bowl. Take 1 and a half cups of the batter and add red or pink food colouring (We suggest red! Pink may blend in with the white too much)
- 4. Bake coloured batter in greased 8×8 pan until tooth pick comes out clean. When cake is cooled, use heart shaped cookie cutter and cut out 12 hearts.
- 5. Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of the remaining plain batter into the prepared tins. Place a heart in each cup, with the bottom of the heart pointing down. Make sure that you face the hearts all the same way! (If you’d like you can dot each liner so that you remember which way to cut them). Press the heart gently into the batter. Cover the top of the heart with another teaspoon of batter. Divide batter evenly among liners. Bake until tops spring back to touch, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (or a hand mixer) whip the butter for 30 seconds at medium speed until creamy. Add the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time, turn the mixer to high and whip the frosting for 30 seconds, until it is pale pink and fluffy. If you’d like the frosting to be a darker shade of pink, add a couple drops of red food coloring.
- Pipe or spread the frosting on the cupcakes, and decorate as desired!